Mary Mary Quite Contrary...

Saturday, May 12, 2012
How Does Your Garden Grow?

Well, we shall see! I enlisted the help of my very willing sister and planted a garden in our backyard. I have no idea if it will produce anything but I am keeping my fingers crossed! 

I went for a raised bed garden since our soil is pretty much clay around here but nonetheless, what I thought would be a pretty quick project turned in to more work then I expected. 

Here is the before...




A few pics of the process...




We used 7 - 4 foot long 2x4 pressure treated boards to make the frame. I stained only the outside (so the part that you see matches the deck and fence) then used 2 "L" brackets in each of the corners to build the frame.

Once the frame was together, we laid it over the section of the yard that we manually tilled (that was the worst part because of all the clay). Then we filled it in with equal parts of top soil, mushroom compost, and manure (nice right??). Once we spread out all of the soil, I laid out the vegetables paying close attention to their individual need for space. 
I planted corn, zucchini, squash, eggplant, and peppers.





Once I knew where they were going to go, I got to planting...




Now lets just see if they actually grow!

*A very big thank you to Emily who is always 
willing to help out when I have a project to do!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design