Being Authentic

Saturday, March 1, 2014


  It's March 1st. 

I want my month of March to be about my daughter and honoring her memory. 
To do that though, I need to get something off my chest. 
Something I have been harboring for quite some time. 

-------

I have written and rewritten this post several times.


It is difficult for me to share.


I started blogging years ago when we were newly married and had just purchased our first place. I wanted to document our journey to make our new house into a home. After we learned of the challenges of our pregnancy, my blog became a way to keep our families up to date on Addy’s prognosis and it became a form of therapy for me as I navigated the ups and downs. I want it to be a way to ensure that my Addalyn is remembered but also a way for me to heal.


I believe that there will come a time when the words that I type will be words of joy, happiness, and triumph but that is just not where my life is at the present.


I struggle to share the reality of me because opening up makes the present more real. And the reality is not one I have fully come to terms with.


And, I struggle to share my hurt after the pain that my journey has brought to those who love me already this year. I know that my family and friends were affected by the passing of my beloved daughter and they too are working through the grief. So, sharing my current struggle is difficult for me as I feel like I am adding to the pain for so many who have faithfully loved and supported me throughout this most difficult year.


But I desire to be real, genuine, and authentic.


It is not easy to share but I can tell you that life is not easy.


As if my pregnancy, the loss of my beloved daughter, and my grief in her absence was not enough for one year, my already broken heart has been enduring more.


--------


We started dating on my 16th birthday...7.1.2001.


On 7.26.2008, we said our vows and made a forever promise to each other. I love him and I believed in our marriage to the core of my being.


Last week, I sat before a judge and what I believed to be my forever, legally came to an end. Our marriage ended in divorce because the vows of honesty and faithfulness were broken.




 

I learned of his affair in September but I was not in a place where I was ready to share. Honestly, I am still not sure I am ready but each time I get an email/text/or letter of well wishes addressed to us or get asked how “we” are, I cringe. I yearn to be authentic and true to where I am in my life. But, I knew just saying that I was going through a divorce would never suffice. It would not be enough because the first place that your mind would wonder to would be that our marriage ended in divorce because the grief was too much or because our marriage could not overcome the death of our daughter.  My beloved daughter is innocent and this momma needs her to be protected. She had nothing to do with the demise of my marriage so she will not be assumed to be the cause nor will she ever be blamed. I do know that grief is hard…I am living it. And, I do know that the death of a child can take a toll on a marriage but the choices were his.  He began his affair knowing that we were pregnant and before we knew of any complications with our Addalyn’s development. My Addalyn is wanted, she is deeply loved, and she is inexplicably missed. I can assure you, it will continue to be my life's work to ensure that she is not forgotten.


I am devastated, sad, and hurt. At times, I am even angry.


But, it is not my place to judge or condemn. I believe that we will all be held accountable for the lives we lived. When my time comes to be reunited with my Addalyn, I want to stand before the Creator and hear him say, “well done my good and faithful servant.” Well done, not because I have achieved perfection or lived an extraordinary life. But, well done because I have trusted God has a plan for me and despite the overwhelming pain and heartache that I have endured this year, I have tried to faithfully trust that God is in control.  So I won’t harbor anger or even hate. By His grace, there will come a season when the hurt will cease.


So, it has just been me.  The child and the hubby whom I should rise to every morning and cuddle up with every night are simply no longer present. It has just been me, me and a long road of healing as I have been navigating the first of every milestone without my child and the first of everything in 12 years that I have not had him by my side. It has been a lot to bear. There is longing for my daughter and for my groom and an emptiness in their absence.


As I have prayed so many times over the last year, I continue to pray for the peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7). 


May He continue to mend my broken heart and transcend my weary spirit.


9 comments:

  1. I commit to stand in the gap and pray for YOU sweet Sookie Jane.
    In Christ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a brave, beautiful young woman. I know God will hold you in his care and heal your wounded heart. You are not alone in your pain. Just remember how exceptional you are. Praying for you and hope by sharing this turbulent time with others it brings you some freedom and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, hugs and more hugs to you.

    It is hard to know what to say in the midst of so much heartache, but just know that you are constantly in my prayers and that I will continue to lift you up.

    And more hugs and more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how you can see a person on a daily bases and never really know their story. A mothers love is unconditional. No one can never understand the love a mother has for her child. Losing a child is something no mother should have to experience. Your baby girl know that her mommy loves her.

    Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace. Your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace. I know losing Baby Addy you feel like you were knocked down. Always remember when you are feeling down you are in the perfect position to PRAY. Determination and faith are all you've got left to hold on to, determine not to let go of FAITH and keep trusting in God? Your darkest hours are just before day. It"s call midnight (12 o'clock), which las just for 1 minute, 60 second.. i,e "weeping may endure for a night but joy coming in the morning" (12:01) which is a new day.

    You keep smiling. Some times in life we tell God how big our storm is and we need to tell our storm how big our God is. He is going to continue to make a way for you. God knows your heart and all the things you desire in your life and he is going to grant you all of them. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sookie Jane.
    I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you. I just found your blog today, but your story moved me, thank you for being honest. I admire your trust in the Lord, keep holding on to him.
    Many prayers and lots of love coming from my side of the ocean (I am Danish)
    - Cecilie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Aly, I just found you on the Hope Spoken link up. I read your about me and ended up here.. As I was reading I thought I was reading your past. I scrolled to the top to see when all of this happened.. I'm so sorry.. I'm praying for you, I'm sure a lot of people are praying for you. I can not even imagine what Hope Spoken might have done for you. I hope you can feel the love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sookie Jane - Just found you through Haverlee's Hope Spoken blog entry. Just wanted to send you the warmest hug from Dallas. Praying that He will raise every valley in your life. God bless! You never walk alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled onto your IG feed and now your blog because of #fridayintroductions. My heart breaks reading about the loss of your precious Addalyn. Now reading this post, I feel the pain in my chest. It's not the same, I know that, but when I was 14 we found out my dad was having an affair after 19 years of marriage. My parents had been together since they were 17. Our world fell apart and we were all changed forever. 18 years later we still live with my dad's choices and every so often the pain creeps in again fresh. But God has taken what was intended for evil and used it for good. He will do this for you. So many horrible things happen in this life as a result of sin, whether our own or another's. But praise God that He can use it all for good!! Romans 8:28. Jeremiah 29:11 has been my life verse since I was a heartbroken teen who came to know Christ because He was our only hope during that time. Still is. I pray that He will richly bless you as you cling to Him and trust that He will bring beauty from ashes. He already is using you to bring Him glory in the midst of the unthinkable. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, mjandco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, thank you for sharing your story. Infidelity is so painful, my heart breaks to hear the hurt you have felt. It certainly is devastating and robs those closest of so much as what we thought was true and real is suddenly jaded and broken. Learning of the affair took a toll on my self esteem, self confidence, and my ability to trust but indeed God is good. Jeremiah 29:11 became my life verse in the midst of all the hurt and hope is what I have clung to.

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design